Your Resume Cover Letter has only one purpose – to get your resume opened & read.
9 Steps to a Great Resume Cover Letter shows you the basic steps to follow to write an effective cover letter.
Your Resume Cover Letter has only one purpose – to get your resume opened and read…so that you will get a job interview.
Your Resume Cover Letter must stimulate the recipient of your resume to open your resume and give you consideration. You are introducing yourself and saying that you have what it takes to do the job that they are trying to fill.
Cover Letter goes in the e-mail Message
In the age of e-mail your Cover Letter should go in the message of the e-mail and not as an attachment because it probably will not be opened and read as an attachment.
Keep your cover letter brief.
Assume that the person receiving your resume is busy – very busy. Be thoughtful and put yourself in their shoes. Keep your cover letter brief and to the point. You are not writing an essay or a novel. You are trying to communicate with someone who is probably very busy and you are competing for their attention.
There are 9 basic parts to a great Resume Cover Letter:
- Your name, telephone number and e-mail address at the top of the Cover Letter.
- Address the letter to someone in particular, if you can, or use To Whom It May Concern.
- Name the position that you are applying for unless a file reference number is requested, then use the file reference number.
- Briefly give an overview of your experience as it relates to the position being applied for.
- In point form list the 3 or 4 most career highlights that relate directly to the job according to the ad that you are responding to.
- Tell them that you have attached your resume that provides a detailed overview of your skills, experience, education, training and achievements.
- Thank the person reading your resume.
- Sign the e-mail with your name, home telephone number and personal e-mail address.
- Add a PS to the note telling the recipient that you check your voice mail and email on regular daily basis.
Remember – your Resume Cover Letter has only one purpose – to get your resume opened and read…so that you will get a job interview.
Richard E. Ward
Increase your productivity
BEYOND MOTIVATION is a wonderful book that helps individuals and groups increase their productivity by recognizing that working with others is an exchange of energy.